One small step...
I picked up my pencils and pens again at the start of the year. I had stopped drawing 15 years ago after being unable to find any art classes near me in Kent. Eventually my job became all consuming and the art was pushed to 'I will do it next year'. My return was triggered by a recurrence of my long standing illness - depression. In an effort to control the worst of the anxiety and to help me slowly pull myself out of the black hole that is dark depression, I picked up the pencils and began to draw.
I came across urban sketchers via Pintrest; so many great images kept turning up that eventually I followed links, then bought the book 'Art of Urban Sketching' and was inspired enough to try to sketch from life rather than pictures. I was lucky enough to also find that I had not one, but two urban sketching groups on my doorstep. Urban sketchers Manchester, organised by Simone Ridyard, and Urban sketchers Yorkshire, organised by Lynne Chapman. This has doubled my opportunities to go sketching in a supportive, friendly and inspiring groups of fellow sketchers.
Eight months on, I've found my preferred paper and pens, seen how to be more creative with colour (still working on that one), found new media, moved from pencil to more confident ink pen and most importantly, seen progress in my my skills and drawings.
This blog is designed to not only show my current work and share my urban sketching adventures, but also to inspire those who think they can't draw, have given up or who never started to pick up a pencil and draw... The more you do... The better you get.
I came across urban sketchers via Pintrest; so many great images kept turning up that eventually I followed links, then bought the book 'Art of Urban Sketching' and was inspired enough to try to sketch from life rather than pictures. I was lucky enough to also find that I had not one, but two urban sketching groups on my doorstep. Urban sketchers Manchester, organised by Simone Ridyard, and Urban sketchers Yorkshire, organised by Lynne Chapman. This has doubled my opportunities to go sketching in a supportive, friendly and inspiring groups of fellow sketchers.
Eight months on, I've found my preferred paper and pens, seen how to be more creative with colour (still working on that one), found new media, moved from pencil to more confident ink pen and most importantly, seen progress in my my skills and drawings.
This blog is designed to not only show my current work and share my urban sketching adventures, but also to inspire those who think they can't draw, have given up or who never started to pick up a pencil and draw... The more you do... The better you get.
Comments
Post a Comment